pysmb is an experimental SMB/CIFS library written in Python. It implements the client-side SMB/CIFS protocol (SMB1 and SMB2) which allows your Python application to access and transfer files to/from SMB/CIFS shared folders like your Windows file sharing and Samba folders.
If you use pysmb in your applications, please drop me a comment at the bottom of this page to let me and the others know of what you have done using pysmb. Thanks.
What It Can Do
From version 1.0.0, pysmb has been completely rewritten and has been tested to be able to login to and upload/download files from shared folders on Samba, Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 machines. For more information on how to write your own file transfer applications using pysmb, please refer to the online documentation at python.org or check out the documentation in the 1.0 source files.
What It Can’t Do
Note that this is only a client library. It does not share files.
If you have problems opening tar.gz files in Windows, please install 7-Zip. It supports 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2, TAR and many other archive formats.
Version 1.1.3, 2013-03-18 (Download)
- Fix a bug which results in endless loop in SMBConnection when remote CIFS server closes the connection. Thanks to Nitin Garg for submitting the bug fixes.
Version 1.1.2, 2012-09-28 (Download)
- Improve queryIPForName() in nmb.NetBIOS and nmb.NBNSProtocol class to return only server machine name and ignore workgroup names.
Version 1.1.1, 2012-06-09 (Download)
- Adds support for Python3. Noted that the Python3 SMB/NMB protocol implementations for Twisted are not well-tested as Twisted (as of v12.1) is not Python3 ready yet.
- Adds support for retrieving list of shadow copies (also known as “previous versions” in Windows). Note that not all Windows editions support shadow copies.
Version 1.1.0, 2012-06-01 (Download)
- Adds SMB2 protocol implementation with signing for outgoing SMB2 messages. pysmb will utilize SMB2 protocol with servers that support SMB2 protocol (eg. Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Samba 3). If the remote server does not support SMB2, pysmb will fall back automatically to using SMB1 protocol.
Version 1.0.5, 2012-05-07 (Download)
- Add supports for SMB message signing. pysmb can sign SMB messages from the CIFS client to the server, but it does not verify the signatures of the SMB messages from the server.
Version 1.0.4, 2012-05-01 (Download)
- Adds support for “smb://” URL in urllib2 python packages to retrieve or upload files from/to remote CIFS servers.
- Improve documentation
Version 1.0.3, 2012-04-28 (Download)
- Fix a crash in SMB._storFile() method which occurs when the remote CIFS server utilizes a max raw size larger than 65535 bytes. The bug was discovered with Windows 7 Pro SP1. Thanks to Bram Deprettere for submitting the bug report.
- Fix a bug in SMB._listPath() method where the files/folders time information are not properly converted to Epoch time. Thanks to John Lau for discovering this bug.
- Add NBNSProtocol.queryIPForName() and NetBIOS.queryIPForName() methods to query for a machine’s NetBIOS name at the given IP address. Thanks to Jason Anderson for providing the initial implementation.
- Add SMBProtocol.retrieveFileFromOffset() and SMBConnection.retrieveFileFromOffset() methods for a finer control of file retrieval operation with read offset and write limits.
Version 1.0.2, 2012-03-25 (Download)
- Fix a bug in SMB._handleSessionChallenge() method in base.py where the domain attribute was not used to generate the corresponding NTLM authentication packets, resulting in the default WORKGROUP domain for used for all subsequent authentications. Thanks to John Lau for submitting the bug report.
Version 1.0.1, 2012-01-25 (Download)
- Fixes a bug in listPath() method which causes directory listing for sub-directories to return an empty list.
- Fixes an incorrect implementation of the TRANS2_FIND_FIRST2 and TRANS2_FIND_NEXT2 request/response handling which causes directory listing to crash when the remote directory contains a certain number of entries.
Version 1.0.0a, 2011-12-30 (Download)
- Completely rewrites pysmb. API is not compatible with previous pysmb-0.x.x
- Supports NTLMv1 and NTLMv2 authentication
- Adds in NMB/SMB protocol implementation for use with Twisted framework
- Tested with Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Samba 3.x
- Requires Python 2.4.4 or later, and pyasn1. Not tested with Python3
- Fixes a bug in previous release (1.0.0) where the package was not built properly and had missing files. (Many thanks to Adrian Klaver for pointing this out)
Version 0.4.5, 2009-06-22 (Download)
- Prevents pysmb from failing when there are too many files/folders to
be returned in a single SMB TRANS2 call. pysmb will “resume” requesting
for more files/folders information in subsequent SMB TRANS2 requests.
Version 0.4.4, 2004-01-12 (Download)
- Add in support for AMK’s Python Cryptography Toolkit which will be used for DES password hashing. If AMK’s pycrypto is found, it will be used instead of mxCrypto.
Version 0.4.3, 2003-02-22 (Download)
- Fix a bug which fails to close the socket in nmb.py on socket exception
- Fix a bug which fails to close the NetBIOSSession in smb.py if the session has not been properly established yet
Version 0.4.2, 2002-08-03 (Download)
- Add new methods to SharedFile instances, get_mtime_epoch, get_atime_epoch and get_ctime_epoch. These methods will return the mtime, atime and ctime in epoch time rather than SMB time.
- Remove debugging printout in smb.py which has been released accidentally with the last release.
- Fix a bug in smbcp which causes to local to remote copy to fail
Version 0.4.1, 2002-06-22 (Download)
- Fix a bug in smb.py which does not return the correct file size for files with their archive bits turned off. This results in these files not being retrieved or sent properly.
- Fix some typo error in the documentations
Version 0.4.0, 2002-04-17 (Download)
- Use NT LM0.12 dialect.
- New smb.SMBMachine class
- Add SMB.get_server_domain(), smb.get_server_os(), SMB.get_server_lanman()
Version 0.3.1, 2001-11-12 (Download)
- Fix a problem with some Windows server where an UID is required when server is in share mode. Now, pysmb calls login() with empty authentication information when server is in share mode.
- Add TYPE_DOMAIN_MASTER constant and description to nmb.py.
Version 0.3.0, 2001-11-10 (Download)
- Add support for services in share mode. Minor changes to smb.SMB class API.
- Fix a bug in smb.py’s __raw_retr_file which has failed to initialize the max_buf_size prior to usage.
- Fix a bug in smblistshare which fails to print the correct NMB error message
- Modify smb.py not throw AttributeError in the destructor when there is an error while creating a session in the constructor
Version 0.2.0, 2001-10-04 (Download)
- Add support for encrypted authentication using DES
- Fix a bug(?) which treats all services and filenames as case-sensitive
Version 0.1.3, 2001-09-03 (Download)
- Fix a bug in smblistshare and smbdu which fails to catch the nmb.NetBIOSError raised when session setup fails.
- Fix a bug in smb.SMB that arises from the change in nmb.NetBIOSSession which sends the session port number as the remote host type.
- Fix a bug in nmb.NetBIOSSession which specifies a TYPE_WORKSTATION for remote host instead of TYPE_SERVER.
- Minor change to nmb.NetBIOSSession constructor API.
- Fix a bug in smbdu which raises OverflowError when printing long file size values.
- Fix a bug in smbcp which does not handle the destination path correctly when the source file is copied to a different filename.
- Change nmb’s NetBIOS and NetBIOSSession class such that they raise a NetBIOSError with a tuple of ( err_msg, err_class, err_code )
- Add a function strerror() in both smb and nmb to return human readable messages for error codes.
- Fix a bug in smbcp which fails to print an error message and terminate when the remote source path is not found.
- Add in another utility, smblistshare.
- First public release